One of the ways to keep your car’s paint finish shining for a very long time is by applying wax or car paint polish. A polishing compound does a simple job – to make your car paint shinier, while also adding a protective coating to prevent oxidation and paint damages.
Apparently, there are many polishing compounds in the market, but not all of them work perfectly on cars with black paint. That said, if you own a black car, you need to know the best polishing compound for black cars, so you don’t choose that won’t work on your car.
Here, in this article, we reviewed some of the best polishing compounds that are pretty easy to apply on black cars.
To also make things easier for you, this article includes a detailed guide on how to apply paint polishing compounds to black cars. It’s a resourceful article for black car owners.
Why Should You Polish Your Black Car?
When the car is new, a proper wash using the right car wash detergent or compound would leave the car glossy.
But over time, after some months, you may notice that your car’s paint isn’t as smooth and shiny as it were. To restore its shininess and transparency, you need to apply a car paint polishing compound.
While this is not compulsory, it helps to restore your car paint’s texture and beauty, while coating the clearcoat layer to prevent minor paint damages such as swirl marks and light scratches. More so, some polishing compounds include waxes for further protection of car paints.
Best Polishing Compound For Black Cars
Paint flaws are easily visible on black and dark-colored cars; you need to pay more attention to the paint finish to keep your black car looking sleek and stunning.
1. Carfidant Ultimate Polish & Paint Restorer
- EASY SCRATCH & SWIRL REPAIR - If your car has light scratches, swirls, or other marks - you can easily fix that with our Scratch & Swirl Remover Kit! Using the included buffer pad, our specially formulated compound will allow you to easily remove and "erase" years of wear and tear from your vehicles paint and overall appearance! (Please note if you have very deep scratches that can be easily felt with the tip of your fingernail the product may not help as much.)
- ULTIMATE PAINT RESTORER - Not only will this remove swirls and scratches, it will restore the gloss and shine of your paint and bring it back to its original brilliance! The special rubbing compound will remove water spots, oxidation and other contaminants from your paint! Easily buff it all out by hand with our included buffer pad!
- PREMIUM CHEMICALS - We formulate all our products to ensure they are the best! Professional grade, but easy enough for anyone to use! We use only the absolute best chemicals and ensure there are no unnecessary color dyes or scents! You get the best cutting polishing compound in a specifically formulated formula with a kit that lets you go right to work!
- SAFE FOR ALL PAINT COLORS - Our Ultimate Car Paint Repair Kit is safe to use on all paints and colors. You can safely use it on any clearcoat, single stage, or multi stage paint!
- MADE IN USA - CARFIDANT SATISFACTION - Don't take our word that this is the best in car detailing products and car cleaning supplies, if you are not 100% satisfied we will refund you in full! We are professionals! We are enthusiasts! We spent years developing our professional automotive detailing products and believe in them 100%! We use them. Our friends use them.
This Carfident polish is one of the best compounds in the market. It works as a swirl mark remover, covers light scratches, and it’s also a polishing compound.
So, literally, getting this compound would fix a lot of issues at a go as you apply it to your car. The formula is well-thought and it’s suitable for black or dark-colored cars.
Furthermore, if you’ve got water spots on your car paint, this compound would most definitely clean it out; hence the name “Ultimate Car Paint Restorer.”
The brand, Carfident is notable for producing top-quality auto care products, and this one is made with premium chemicals that won’t damage your paint’s clear coat.
2. 3D One Rubbing Compound & Finishing Polish
- HYBRID FORMULA … 3D One is a hybrid high grade rubbing compound and finishing polish all in one bottle!
- ALL YOU NEED IS ONE … 3D One is a one step scratch & swirl remover with sealant protection that will deliver a true paint correction and bring your paint job back to life! Please note: Our products will not remove deep scratches or correct areas where paint may be missing. Results may vary.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE … Our premium professional grade formula removes many moderate to heavy surface imperfections on all paint colors!
- EASY APPLICATION … You can easily apply 3D One by hand for smaller surface areas or with a polisher or buffer for larger areas with more imperfections.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA ... We've been researching and creating exterior and interior car care products for over 25 years now. A quarter of a century of giving our customers uncompromising quality. Go ahead, experience a car scratch remover rubbing compound that's tried and trusted. Date on bottles reflect manufactured dates, not expiry dates.
Coming from a notable brand, 3D One, this finishing polish works on black cars and dark color paints. It is a good polishing compound made with a formula that comprises premium chemicals – soft on car paints and truly restores glossiness.
As a hybrid rubbing compound, this 3D one polisher works on various cars, regardless of the paint color. You can easily apply the compound using a polisher or a hand buffer pad. The formula is quite advanced and can remove light scratches and swirl marks from car paint.
Read Also: Best Wax For Black Cars With Swirls
There are three size options available: 8oz, 16oz, and 32oz. This is a water-based compound, and it does not react to car paint finishes.
3. Turtle Wax Color Magic Car Polish
- Leaves a deep, brilliant shine and provides long lasting protection
- Advanced blend of polishes, dyes and pigments fill in light scratches and swirl marks
- Rejuvenates older, faded finishes that have been neglected
- Helps restore and repair a car’s finish to the original showroom-like condition
Here’s a top-quality polishing compound for black cars, and it’s coming from a top brand, Turtle Wax. This black car polish is made with a patented formula that restores glossiness and shine to dark-color cars; it also serves as a waxing compound, so you’re basically getting one product to serve you two purposes.
The Turtle Wax T-374KTR Color Magic Car Polish makes your car’s black paint deeper and shiny. As a waxing compound, it adds a protective layer over your car paint’s clear coat to protect it from light damages.
More so, applying this compound is pretty easy, but you need to shake the container before pouring out the content.
4. Chemical Guys Polish Kit
- ALL-INCLUSIVE SAMPLER KIT - From heavy-duty compounds to light polishes, this kit provides a sample of everything you need for a flawless finish.
- REMOVE DEFECTS - Effectively tackle heavy scratches, swirl marks, and wet-sanding scratches with the V32 and V34 compounds.
- ENHANCE SHINE - Use V36 and V38 polishes to refine gloss, shine, and clarity, perfect for newer cars or after compounding.
- OPTICAL GRADE TECHNOLOGY - Features micro abrasive technology for precision and clarity in restoration.
- NO FILLERS - What you see is what you get; the kit is formulated without fillers ensuring genuine, lasting results.
Now here’s an ideal kit for every black car owner; this kit includes four polishing compounds, and they work great for dark-color vehicles.
Chemical Guys is a top brand and this polish is one of its best products. The price is budget-friendly, and the formula can hide out light scratches.
According to the manufacturer, this polishing compound is designed to be used with dual action or rotary polishers. The formula does not contain silicone or fillers, and this compound does not perform a good job in covering scratches that are a bit deeper.
5. Meguiar’s Black Wax
- Black Wax
- The perfect wax for dark colored cars!
- Specially formulated for dark to black colors
- Micro cleaners restore paint brightness
- 7 oz. Bottle
As we continue with this listicle, the Meguiar’s Black Wax is an impressive paint polishing compound that works great on dark colors, which includes black.
It is a compound made with a strong formula – formulated to restore shine and gloss to black cars. Notwithstanding, you can use this compound on other car paints too.
You can apply this polish with a hand applicator pad, or if you’ve got a buffer, that’s not a problem. This also doubles as a waxing compound for clear coat protection. So, apparently, this is an ideal compound for every black car owner, and the price is very affordable.
6. The Last Coat Premium Car Polish
- ✅CERAMIC COATING: This ceramic spray coating will give extremely high gloss and amazing hydrophobic properties, built off similar mesh technology, coating spray was formulated specifically for external surfaces only and for more longevity, primarily for detailers looking to offer longer-term coating.
- ✅LONG LASTING SURFACE PROTECTION: Ceramic coating & car wax kit with unreal hydrophobic properties, the ceramic spray was formulated for our pro-detailer customers who wanted to offer longer-term coating services.
- ✅DESIGNED TO KEEP SURFACES LOOKING NEW: Ceramic wax can be used on most exterior surfaces including painted surfaces, matte and vinyl, and denim surfaces, the surface will be smooth after applying ceramic spray coating.
- ✅FIRST AND LAST COAT: Durable protective car wax is formulated using advanced science, it forms a high-brightness, strong water-repellent, and durable protective coat on the paint surface, and it gives your car a brilliant, protective glass-looking shine. It is the best product for paint surface maintenance.
- ✅WORLD CLASS QUALITY PRODUCTS: This ceramic car spray coating is made of high-quality materials and this ceramic coating spray will give complete satisfaction. The last coat products leave all surfaces polished, protected, and silky smooth - guaranteed, we are so sure you will love the last coat, we are backing it up with a 30-day guarantee.
This is a decent polishing compound you can use on different paint, but it works excellently on a black finish.
The Last Coat Premium Car Polish comes in a 16oz container and it has a spray handle, which makes it easy to apply the compound. More so, this compound formula can cover up light scratches and swirl marks.
Read Also: Best Car Wash Soap For Black Cars
Although the brand is not too popular, this polishing compound really competes with the ones from top brands in the market.
7. Sonax Profiline CutMax
- PROFESSIONAL CUTTING COMPOUND - Sonax CutMax removes marks of P1500 grit or finer, including paint defects, scratches, dust inclusions, and severely scratched or oxidized paint work without damaging the clear coat
- HIGH GLOSS FINISH - Polishing formula leaves a high gloss OEM paint finish with hologram free paint surface
- SILICONE & DUST FREE - Water based formula will not dry out like other compounds, contains no solvents, silicones or petroleum and creates no dust during the compounding process so polishing pads stay cleaner longer
- VERSATILE - One of the most flexible compound / polishes available in the market that works beautifully on all clear coats and paint finishes
- SAVES TIME - The single step process makes paint corrections far less labor intensive and time consuming than traditional claying and compounding - recommend applying with a rotary polisher and a Sonax 6 inch orange polisher pad (sold separately)
If you want your black car to have a high gloss finish, this is probably the polishing compound you need to use. The Sonax Profiline CutMax compound is an impressive black car polish with a formula made with premium chemicals that won’t hurt the paint finish on your car.
More interestingly, this product is capable of removing P1500 grit or finer, which means it can remove paint scratches, defects, and treat oxidized paintwork – all these it could do without damaging the clear coat. Furthermore, this is a water-based compound; it does not contain silicone or solvents.
8. 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish
- USE WHAT THE PROS USE– Scientifically formulated for polishing paint, gelcoat and fiberglass surfaces on cars, trucks, boats, RVs and more
- ACHIEVE A MIRROR-SMOOTH FINISH – High-performance polish is formulated for removing fine scratches and swirl marks after compounding
- BUFFS TO FINE FINISH – Leaves surface polished, shiny and ready for wax
- EASY TO USE – Polish is formulated to hold on the pad using rotary polishers, limiting sling and mess
- PART OF A COMPLETE SYSTEM – Use with 3M Perfect-It Foam or Wool Compounding Pads after compounding
This polishing compound does not only work for black cars, but it also works for boats with black paint. Notwithstanding, it is formulated to also shine other paint colors.
3M is a notable brand that produces high-quality auto products. You can apply this compound using a hand polisher or your electric buffer.
Read Also: What Pressure Washer Nozzle Is Safe For Car?
It is safe on clear coats and can remove minor paint defects. Furthermore, 3M assures that you can use this polish on RVs. Simply, it is a versatile polishing compound for automobiles.
Apparently, this can revive old paints and make your vehicle shine as new. But the price is quite high, and that’s a major drawback.
What’s The Difference Between Car Wax and Polishing Compounds
A lot of people are confused about this; you’d see people refer to car waxes as polishers and vice versa. Well, here’s the major difference between the two.
A car wax is a formula meant to coat the paint finish of a car with a protective layer while trying to hide out light paint imperfections such as scratches, defects, oxidized layers, and swirl marks.
On the other hand, a polishing compound does almost the same job, but in a slightly different manner. A car polish typically contains abrasive ingredients and as such, it can effectively remove paint scratches, swirl marks, and other paint defects more than a wax.
While a wax tries to coat (cover) a car’s finish with a protective layer, a polish slightly removes the clear coat to even scratches, or use its filler ingredients to cover those paint imperfections. Basically, you need to polish a car before waxing it.
Just as there are car polishing compounds specifically meant for black cars, there are also car waxes specifically meant for black cars too.
Read Also: How To Wash A Black Car Without Water Spots
How To Apply Polish On Black Cars
Polishing black cars need optimal carefulness because any error would clearly show on the paint.
You have to start with washing the car thoroughly; ensure that you wash every part of the car and dry with a microfiber towel.
Get the best polishing compound for the type of black paint you have; not all polishing compounds work on satin black finishes. So, when you’ve got the perfect polish for your car, start the polishing process.
Apply the polishing compound to a buffer or hand applicator pad and start applying it to the black car. Focus on one area at a time, and ensure you read the application instructions for the polishing compound you bought.
Mostly, you don’t need to rewash or rinse the car after applying polish to the paint. But if the instructions on your polishing compound say you need to rewash the car, then you should do that.
Read Also: How To Keep A Black Car Clean Between Washes
Polishing a black car restores its shine and glossiness; it also removes scratches, swirl marks, and other paint defects.
This article lists some of the top best polishing compounds for black cars; you can make your choice from this list. Have a great day.