Removing swirl marks from car paint is much easier than removing deep scratches. Swirls are caused by different factors, and they make your car appear old and dirty, which is why you should always remove them whenever you can.
In today’s article, we’ll share with you a comprehensive list of the best swirl remover for black paints. You can also use these products to remove swirl marks from other car paint colors (not just black).
Removing swirl marks from a car follows a straightforward process and doesn’t waste much time. So, if you see swirl marks on your car’s body, these paint cleaning compounds are liable to help in removing them.
What Are The Best Black Paint Swirl Remover?
Check the table below are our recommended black paint swirl removers:
|Autoglym SRP500US Super Resin Polish||Prime||View @ Amazon|
|Top||TriNova Scratch Swirl remover||Prime||View @ Amazon|
|Chemical Guys Scratch and Swirl Remover||Prime||View @ Amazon|
|Turtle Wax Colour Magic Jet Black Car Polish||Prime||View @ Amazon|
|Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover||Prime||View @ Amazon|
What Are Swirl Marks?
Simply put, swirl marks are fine scratches that appear on your car’s body due to several reasons. Swirl marks are usually spiral. The causes include improper car wash practices, forceful application of waxes or polishers, and mitts from regular towels or cleaning pads.
Using a dirty car cover for your car can also cause these marks to appear. Sometimes swirl marks may be a little deep and require a more formidable approach to be removed. But, most of the time, you can clear them off using a standard swirl removal compound.
Why Are Swirl Marks Worst On Black Cars?
Generally, paint defects are more visible on black cars than other colors because black finishes clearly show whitish lines once scratched. Hence, swirl marks tend to show up clearer on black-colored cars – that’s why it seems worst on such cars.
But, in a real sense, swirl marks’ impact on car finishes is the same – depending on the severity. Here, we have reviewed the very best products that help to remove these insightful marks from your black-painted vehicle.
Best Swirl Remover for Black Paint
Most of these products are universal and works for all types of car finish, irrespective of the color. Ensure to read the instructions before using.
1. Jax Wax Professional Swirl Remover
- EASY CLEAN – Application of the Swirl Remover quickly eliminates swirl marks, etched-in water spots, and other minor imperfections from your finish and even glass.
- JUST ONE STEP – Just gently apply and you’ll be able to remove imperfections and excess wax at the same time.
- IDEAL ON ANY FINISH – Perfect for any finish, even black or dark-colored ones. Swirl Remover also works well in tandem with premium grade carnauba wax.
- BY HAND OR BUFFER – Jax Wax’s Swirl Remover works equally well whether you’re applying by hand or using a buffer.
- PERFECT FOR HOME OR COMMERCIAL USE – Professional Swirl Remover has the same quality regardless of amount, so it’s perfect whether you’re using it at home or for commercial use.
Using this car waxing compound for swirl removal requires you’ll get cleaning pads or a microfiber applicator. The Jax Wax compound is a proven formula that helps you conceal the annoying minor imperfections that appear on your car’s body.
It works faster than most other formulas meant for this same purpose. More interestingly, Jax Wax Swirl Remover is perfect for any finish, not just black or dark-colored finishes. This compound solution is liable to help in removing etched water-spots.
You can apply this formula by hand or using a buffer. It is entirely safe for use at home or commercial purposes. Compared with other high-performing swirl removers for black paint, Jax Wax Swirl Remover gives you the best value for your expense.
As a waxing compound, this product only conceals imperfections, implying that you will see those imperfections again after the wax layer washers off. So, you may need to regularly apply the wax to hide your car paint’s imperfections forever.
2. Turtle Wax Jet Black Car Polish
- Masks minor scratches and swirls whilst enriching the paintwork's colour.
- Builds colour with every application delivering an incredible shine thanks to Carnauba and Montan wax.
- Includes Dynamic Colour Boost for ever longer lasting colour.
- Works effectively on oxidised paintwork to bring colour back to life.
- Combining over 25 years of experience and consumer trust with brand new technologies.
Turtle Wax is popular for making high-performance car care products. This black paint polish from the brand helps in covering swirl marks and some minor car paint imperfections. It is not basically a scratch remover, so you shouldn’t expect it to remove those annoying scratches on your car.
Turtle Wax Jet Black Car Polish adds a protective layer over the clear coat layer to hide swirl marks and protect your car’s paint from future minor damages. This polishing compound only works for black-colored cars and dark-colored cars.
You will need to purchase applicator pads or use microfiber cloths when applying this polish to your car’s body. It is easy to apply, and it dries faster. The Turtle Wax Jet Black Car Polish lasts for up to 25 car washes.
Furthermore, while concealing swirl marks, this compound formula restores glossiness and transparency to your car’s finish.
3. 3M Scratch Remover
- Scratch remover eliminates scratches, swirl marks and more
- Formula contains no wax so scratches are polished out, not filled in
- Compound combines medium-cutting with fine finishing
- Versatile product may be applied by hand or machine
- Product delivers professional results at an economy rate
As the name implies, this is a car scratch remover, and it also works as a swirl remover for black paint. The 3M Scratch Remover is versatile and can be applied onto a car in different ways – using a machine (buffer) or hand (microfiber pads). It is a practical add-on to any auto DIY kit.
Because this is not a waxing compound, it does not add any protective layer to your car’s clear coat. It is basically a polishing compound, which implies that it would restore/add shine and glossiness to the affected parts of your black paint finish.
The 3M Scratch Remover eliminates swirl marks by polishing them out of the surface. It combines medium-cutting with fine finishing; hence, it is entirely safe for all dark-colored finishes. One of the interesting things about this swirl remover is the low price.
Applying 3M Scratch Remover requires a microfiber towel or pad. You can also apply with a buffer to buff off the swirl marks on your car. All-around, it is considerable to mention this product as one of the best swirl mark removers for black paint.
4. TriNova Scratch Swirl Remover
- ✅ A SIMPLE SOLUTION - our advanced formula works when buffing by hand or with a dual action orbital polisher. This means you don't need a high maintenance tool or polisher just to touch up basic auto body spots. Polishes oxidation after cleaning, all cars can shine again after blemish correction.
- ✅ PAINT RESTORATION - Our product is safe to use on all paint colors. This rubbing compound will remove unwanted swirls, scuffs, paint transfers, water spots, oxidation and other contaminants. Restore your paint's original shine!
- ✅ HIGH END CHEMICALS - Get the best with TriNova! We believe in uncompromised care, meaning we only use the best chemicals when formulating a product. Automobile exterior color scratches need detailing to get out, our brilliant polishers will repair glaze to a high gloss.
- ✅ BE SENSIBLE - If you can feel the scratch with the tip of your fingernail, it is too deep or heavy to be repaired with a simple polishing compound. You will need professional repair work to get your supreme finish back. Head to a bodyshop that you trust and ask them to supply rates for a scuff restore job. Painted surfaces and coats can all be restored to brilliance with industrial surface compounds.
- ✅ TRUST TRINOVA - We're part Gold Eagle Co., an 85 year old company located in Chicago that specializes in automotive. Our reviews are authentic and we understand that these types of products aren't magic in a bottle. If you aren't satisfied with your purchase, we'll refund your money.
It sounds so cool that you’ll be getting a free microfiber detailing pad inside the box with your Trinova Scratch Swirl Remover. This product is inarguably one of the best swirl mark removers you can get for your car with a dark-colored finish (black paint).
The inclusive microfiber applicator pad adds more value to the price. As an advanced clear coat formula, this swirl remover improves shine and cleans all sort of minor imperfections that may have marred the good look and appearance of your car.
Interestingly, this compound formula works on many finishes, and not just black paints. Well, this is also not a waxing compound, so it does not add another layer to protect your car’s clear coat. But it ensures to restore your car’s paint to look as it were when you initially bought the car, or even better.
Before applying Trinova Swirl Remover to your car, shake the bottle thoroughly. Pour it out to a microfiber towel or the polishing pad that comes along with the product inside the box. Then apply to your car carefully and slowly.
5. Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound
- REMOVE PAINT DEFECTS: The ultimate product for removing oxidation, scratches, water spots, and blemishes without scratching
- BEST CAR SCRATCH REMOVER: Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives restoring surface clarity without scratching or swirling
- SAVES TIME: The clear coat safe formula dramatically reduces the time and effort to restore abused or neglected paint finishes
- STUNNING FINISH: Exclusive micro-abrasive technology leaves a "like new" finish and adds gloss in one easy step
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COAT: Safe and effective on clear coat and single stage paints, and can be applied by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
Meguiar’s car care products are popular among car owners in various regions; the brand is remarkable for quality. The Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound is a practical formula that is sure to eradicate virtually all imperfections on your car’s paint. It is a versatile compound for treating swirl marks and restoring gloss.
This compound is formulated with exclusive micro-abrasive technology, and it works for different finishes. Interestingly, this product treats car paint oxidation, clear water spots, and removes many other defects on your car.
Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound is easy to apply, and it dries faster than most other similar compounds. It does not come with an applicator pad like the TriNova Swirl Remover; hence, you’ll be spending a few bucks on getting a detailing microfiber pad or towel.
Ensure to read the instructions outlined on the bottle’s label for effective application of this compound swirl remover for black paint. This compound does not include wax; it is plainly a polishing formula for automobiles.
6. Chemical Guys VSS
- This can remove many moderate to heavy surface imperfections. Works on all colors
- Works like a compound, a polish and a cleaner
- Eliminates surface imperfections
- Wax and silicone free
How would you feel if you knew that this compound could remove some deep scratches from your car’s paint? Well, you’d feel great, right? The Chemical Guys VSS scratch and swirl remover is a reliable formula that is capable of removing little too heavy surface blemishes from different paint finishes.
Formulated to work as a compound, paint cleaner, and paint polisher, Chemical Guys VSS is versatile, easy to apply, and effective. It doesn’t contain fillers or waxes, and it can be applied with any DA/rotary buffing machine – microfiber towels are also a good option.
If there are stubborn water spots on your car, this product can help to remove them quickly. Read the instructions before applying this compound to your vehicle. Judging from other customers’ reviews, this product is safe to be mentioned among the best swirl removers for black-colored vehicles.
7. Formula 1 615464 Black Color Wax
- ADVANCED CROSSLINKED POLYMER TECHNOLOGY: This premium product is manufactured with our advanced crosslinked polymer technology. This technology utilizes exclusive super-polymers that crosslink on a car’s finish, forming a clear, durable coating. Our innovative coating technology lasts two times longer than other natural and synthetic waxes.
- HIGH-GLOSS FINISH: This color wax helps bring out the vividness of your car’s paint. Specifically designed for use on automotive paint, this premium car wax provides a deep, wet-looking shine. Give your car a high-gloss finish with a fresh coat of Formula 1 Color Wax and achieve that enviable showroom shine!
- CONTAINS UV-STABLE PIGMENTS: Restore your car’s luxurious appearance to make it look brand new with this wax. This superior color wax is formulated with UV-stable color pigments that restore the luster and color of your auto’s paint and effectively hide minor scratches and swirls.
- LEAVES NO POWDERY WHITE RESIDUE: The specially concocted formula of this color wax is made with crosslinked super polymers. Unlike cheap car waxes, its formula is guaranteed to leave no powdery white residue on your car’s surface, giving it the lustrous finish of a showroom car.
- LONG-LASTING SHINE & PROTECTION: Made with our nano-polymer formula, this car wax will make your car look new in record time. This paint protection provides strong resistance against water, dirt, and UV rays, and its exclusive formula provides water-beading protection that lasts up to 12 months.
Waxing compounds also act as swirl removers; however, they work differently. Yea, waxing compounds work by covering the swirled area with an additional coating layer. Hence, most waxes can only hide swirl marks and not actually remove them from your car’s paint.
But the Formula 1 Black Color Wax is formulated to actually remove swirl marks from car paint while it locks in wet-looking shine and high-gloss. This formula boasts of a patented cross-linked polymer technology – a tech that utilizes a set of super-polymers to polish car paints.
It is also formulated with UV-stable color pigments that help restore luster and color to your auto’s paint while effectively hiding minor imperfections such as light scratches and swirls. This compound adds a protective layer over your car’s clear.
Plus, the manufacturer promises that it lasts longer than most other similar products. You should only use this compound for black paints. The application requires the use of buffer pads or microfiber towels. It can be applied using a machine or hand.
8. Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0
- SCRATCH REMOVER: Removes fine scratches and swirl marks from car while providing a dark, dramatic shine
- DEEP GLOSS: Combination cleaner and polish creates a brilliant deep gloss
- NEAT AND EASY USE: Formulated to reduce splatter and make application and wipe-down easier
- CLEAR COAT SAFE: Safe and effective on all glossy paint finishes including clear coats
- CHOOSE HOW TO USE: Formulated for use by hand, DA polisher or rotary buffer, and is body shop safe. To be used on Cars only
Here is a specially made compound by the infamous Meguiar’s that proves to be one of the best swirl removers for different car paint finishes. The Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze 2.0 removes fine scratches and swirl marks from car paints while delivering a dark, astonishing shine.
This compound is formulated to reduce splatter during application. Also, it is easy to apply and wipe-down. The Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze 2.0 is specifically meant for cars irrespective of the paint finish. The formula does not include waxes.
You may need to apply this compound twice to the affected areas to perfectly clear the imperfections on your car’s paint. It is entirely safe to apply with hand (using a microfiber towel or pad), DA polisher, or rotary buffer. However, these applicators are not included in the package.
The application instructions are outlines at the back label on the bottle – ensure to read them and take the precautionary measures.
9. Autoglym SRP500US Super Resin Polish
- Ultimate cleaner, polish, and sealant
- Removes surface contaminants
- Imparts a tough, glossy protective barrier
- Extremely easy to apply and remove
- Ideal for all paint types and colors
Contained in a 16.9 Oz. bottle, the Autoglym SRP500US Super Resin Polish is one of the best you can use for your dark-colored car. Although it works for other paint colors, this product delivers exceptional results when used on black paints or other dark colors.
Autoglym SRP500US Super Resin Polish is an auto polishing compound formulated to remover swirl marks, scratches, water spots, and other minor imperfections that have ruined the beautiful appearance of your car.
The compound also impacts a tough, glossy protective barrier that prevents future minor damages to your car paint. You can apply this compound as you would any swirl remover – using hand applicators or a buffing machine. Interestingly, this formula works quickly, and it’s easy to clean off.
Don’t use this product for deep scratch removals; you won’t get a good result. More so, the Autoglym SRP500US lasts for a longer time.
10. Chemical Guys 10FX Random Orbital Polisher Kit
- Digital display and speed control buttons for precise and intuitive control
We’ve been reviewing single products up till this point; how about you learn about a complete kit that’s sure to deal with any imperfection you could see on your car’s paint? However, with the exception of deep scratches, which sometimes require bodywork before you can fix them.
This auto DIY kit includes eight items, viz, 8mm dual action orbit, 5. 5-inch cutting pad, VSS scratch & swirl removal compound, three (3) microfiber towels, and a Buffing Pad Conditioner. Apparently, you won’t be needing anything else to work on your car over the weekend.
However, you need to read the instructions carefully. Basically, you will pour out the VSS compound to the buffer and apply it to your car. Afterward, use the microfiber towel(s) to wipe-down and check the effectiveness.
This kit removes various minor imperfections, of which swirl marks are inclusive. It also lasts long and provides a decent level of protection against future paint damages.
What To Consider While Buying Swirl Mark Remover For Black Cars
There are a few things you may need to consider when shopping for swirl mark remover. We also considered these factors in choosing the products reviewed above.
1. Your Car’s Paint Safety
You are looking to remove the impurities that appeared on your car’s paint; you won’t love to incur new ones while removing the existing defects. Hence, you need the best swirl remover that would not affect your paint due to its chemical formulation.
Most swirl removers are silicone-free, and they are ideal for any paint finish – silicone is a bit harsh on paints. Ask the seller if his swirl remover is silicone-free before purchasing it.
Many swirl removal compounds contain wax fillers. These fillers are introduced into scratches as you apply the compound – its purpose is to “fill up” and cover the scratches. This is usually seen in waxing compounds that also act as swirl removers.
While fillers can be a good inclusion into swirl removal formulas, they are not so good. Why? Wax fillers will wash away after some time. When this happens, the swirl marks may reappear again on your car. So, in choosing the best swirl remover for your car, it is best to go for the ones that do not contain fillers.
3. Abrasive and Non-Abrasive
Abrasive compounds have a higher potential of harming your car’s paint if not applied with strict carefulness. This is because they contain micro-particles that are expected to sand your car’s surface to fix minor imperfections more efficiently.
In contrast, non-abrasive compounds have a lower potential of incurring new damage to your car’s paint even when you apply with force. We would recommend non-abrasive for people who are not professionals in car detailing. However, for experts, abrasive swirl removers are a better option.
Both abrasive and non-abrasive deliver the same result when applied accordingly.
You need a swirl remover, that’s understandable, but it’d be great to get a compound that performs more than just swirl removal. For example, most products reviewed in this article also help to remove light scratches, treat paint oxidation, remove water spots, and more.
A versatile swirl remover won’t only offer more value for the price but also saves time because you’ll be dealing with many imperfections at a go.
How To Remove Swirl Marks From My Black Car
Below is the step by step guide to removing swirl marks from your black-colored vehicle.
Wash the car thoroughly using clean water and detergent. You should wash the car by yourself and focus more on affected areas. After the wash, use a microfiber towel or cloth to dry the car. Do not use regular towels to dry your car; it could cause more swirl marks to appear.
Depending on the compound you bought, this step may vary. If you bought a waxing/polishing compound, pour it out to your applicator (a microfiber towel or orbital polishing pad), and apply it to affected areas following a circular pattern.
If you bought a full kit, you might need to apply a specific compound before the actual swirl removal compound. All the same, the next step after washing and drying your car is to apply the swirl removal compound.
Allow the applied compound to last for a while (read the instructions for the product you bought to know how long you should wait). Afterward, wipe down with a clean, dry microfiber towel.
Check for the swirl marks; if you can still see them, repeat the second step; else, you’re DONE.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some common questions asked by car owners regarding swirl removers for black paint.
Can I use my black-paint swirl remover on other paints?
Except the compound is labeled as a “swirl remover for all colors/finishes,” it is not advisable to apply it on another paint finish asides “black.”
But, most swirl removers for black cars also work for other dark colors. You shouldn’t guess, read the label or ask the seller before using it on another color to avoid disruption.
How long does it take to remove swirl marks from black paint?
It is advisable to always carry out detailing or waxing jobs over the weekend. You could spend little-to-many hours, depending on the mass of the affected surface. Approximately, removing swirl marks takes around 1 – 2 hours.
Still, looking for the best swirl remover for black paint? Your search should be over right now – the compounds reviewed above are reliable, safe, long-lasting, and deliver the best result on black paints.
We also evaluated the reviews from other people who have used these auto care products to discover that they really work for the purpose. These items can be bought from Amazon or any other store that sells auto detailing products.
Finally, always endeavor to read the instructions inscribed on the bottles or the labels before applying any of these to your vehicle. Thanks for reading, and do enjoy the rest of your day.