There are affiliate links on this article. If you make a purchase through any of the links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
It’s incredibly tough to keep black cars shiny, especially once they’re scratched. This is why you’ll need the best wax for black cars with scratches to ensure your car is always neat and tidy.
Waxing your car will help to protect its paint from different environmental contaminants. While there are many car waxing products on the market today, but what is the best wax for black-colored cars?
In today’s article, we will look at the different black car-specific waxing products that will instantly cover scratches on black cars.
Let’s get started!
What Is The Best Wax For Black Cars With Scratches?
|Top Top||Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit||PrimeEligible||View @ Amazon|
|TopTop Top||Chemical Guys HOL203 Black Car Care Kit||PrimeEligible||View @ Amazon|
|Top Top||CarGuys Ultimate Liquid Car Wax||PrimeEligible||View @ Amazon|
|Top Top||Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax||PrimeEligible||View @ Amazon|
|Top Top||Meguiar’s G6207 Black Wax, 7 oz||Prime||View @ Amazon|
Why Should You Use Black Car Waxes?
Below are the various reasons you should consider waxing your car:
Protects car paint from harmful sun rays
Direct sunlight is the primary cause of paint oxidation. When you leave a brand-new car under the sun for some years, it will oxidize much faster than an older car of 10+ years that has been in the garage all its life.
The best way to keep your car from degrading quickly is to apply some sunscreen (i.e., wax) to it.
Helps in car maintenance
After spending all that money to buy a car, you will want to maintain every aspect of it to retain its value.
One such maintenance schedule is the occasional waxing of the car, even though the manufacturer may not tell you this directly.
Remove light surface defects
Depending on how you choose to do it, waxing your car can remove light surface scratching on its paint. Since it’s usually easier to spot defects on black cars than any other color, taking care of those scratches as you wax is essential.
Get better results than with a regular wax
Even though you will still follow the same procedure to wax your car regardless of the paint color, you will achieve better results when you use waxes meant for black vehicles than you would with some generic or basic waxes.
Therefore, if you want to achieve a better result, go for waxes designed for black car scratches.
Types of Wax for Black Cars
There are different types of waxes for black cars, which include:
1. Spray wax
Spray wax is one of the most popular types of wax. It’s the type of wax you should always have on your side in order to always get the most cleaning power out of one product.
You should use spray wax as a final step before your vehicle is set to go. A typical spray wax won’t give you superior protection, but it’s still better than leaving dirt and grime to feast on your car paint.
2. Carnauba wax
Lots of science goes into the wax you use on your vehicle. Many auto enthusiasts love carnauba wax, primarily because it offers better protection and deeper shine.
But it still lasts shorter than a synthetic wax (more about it later), which means that you’ll need to be reapplying it often.
3. Synthetic wax
The majority of car waxes available on the market today are synthetic. Synthetic waxes are specially-formulated to bring out the best shine from your car paint.
Natural and carnauba waxes are the perfect alternatives to synthetic wax, though many wax manufacturers also offer blends of these three.
4. Liquid wax
Liquid wax is the most commonly used car wax on the market today. It’s usually applied with a rotary buffer or a dual-action polisher – and it can also be applied by hand.
Some liquid waxes usually have some sweet scent to make the entire waxing process fun and enjoyable, although the smell has zero effect on the end results.
5. Paste wax
Paste wax is usually much difficult to apply than spray or liquid wax. While liquid wax is typically the most widely-used form of wax, some people still swear by paste wax.
Again, while liquid wax requires a little heat to sink into the paint pores, paste wax relies heavily on elbow grease to get rid of the top layer of paint in order to reveal the shiny layer underneath.
6. Wax wipes
Go for wax wipes if you want a wax on the go. Wipes waxes are a convenient solution to getting rid of surface contaminants on car paints and applying a thin protective layering of wax.
The only drawback to this type of wax is that it doesn’t last as long as a paste or liquid wax. The good thing is that most wax wipes out there come in a resealable package that you can easily store for your next use.
Best Wax For Black Cars With Scratches
1. Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
- Black tinted pre-cleaner and conditioner removes scratches, swirl marks and surface contaminants
- Carnauba based black infused wax brings out the true black in the vehicles finish
- Hand or machine application
- Kit Includes: 1ea Pre Wax Cleaner and Conditioner (12 oz), 1ea Deep Black Carnauba Wax (12 oz), 2ea Black Spray Detailers (12 oz) and 2ea Applicator Pads
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit is one of the best waxes for black cars with scratches out there today. The wax is pretty much easy to use, does an impressive job, and is reasonably priced – it completes the job in four simple steps.
The package comes with one 12-ounce conditioner and pre-wax cleaner, one 12-ounces dye-based Deep Black Carnauba Car Wax, two 12-ounce spray detailers, and two pads for application. And the manufacturer also provides straightforward instructions to help you wax your car like a pro.
With this product, you will be able to get rid of every trace of tar, minor scuffs, as well as other environmental contaminants on your car in a single application. Unfortunately, it can’t remove medium to deep paint scratches entirely.
Turtle Black Car Wax Kit is simply a godsend for black cars with scratches. Once the wax is applied correctly, even the most stubborn scurf, marks, and discolorations are either removed entirely or aren’t as noticeable as before.
The only disadvantage of this product is that it’s somewhat challenging to use, and it can create a good amount of mess, which is why we suggest you keep many soft cloths around when waxing your car with the Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit.
- Comes with clear instructions from the manufacturer
- Ideal for black as well as other dark-colored vehicles
- It’s somewhat user-friendly
- True black finish
- Removes scratches, tar spots, scuffs, and other environmental contaminants
- The application can get messy
- Not entirely the best for paint swirls and deep scratches
2. Meguiar’s Black Wax
- Black Wax
- The perfect wax for dark colored cars!
- Specially formulated for dark to black colors
- Micro cleaners restore paint brightness
- 7 oz. Bottle
The primary reason why we chose Meguiar’s Black Wax as one of our top value picks is due to its ability to combine two steps into one. Polish isn’t entirely necessary for lighter-colored vehicles, but a shiny black car always stands out.
And since there’s usually less room for mistakes when it comes to black cars, being able to polish and wax your vehicle at the same time makes car care less stressful eventually.
Meguiar’s also made it easier to apply this product by providing a useful applicator pad. Like the yellow pads that also come with the product, the black pad is mainly designed to avoid scratching your black car paint.
You can easily hold it between your thumb and four fingers, and it evokes a circling motion as you apply the product. It also features an ergonomic tube, which makes it very easy to dollop out sufficient wax to liberally cover your car without creating a big mess.
However, you’ll have to be mindful of how much wax you use on your car. We won’t advise you to rely on the small tube for larger cars, especially if you like going heavy-handed with the application.
- Easily removes scratches on car paints
- It has a pleasant smell
- It’s very durable
- It gets rid of scuffs and swirls
- 2-in-1 product
- Very easy to apply
- The product is relatively costly
- The seen shine isn’t the best compared to other products
3. CarGuys Liquid Wax
- ✅ Only apply 1-2 times a year! – Are you tired of using products that look great, but don’t last? You won’t experience that here! Our advanced proprietary polymer additives boost our products protection and durability! It’s like giving steroids to our products! Stop using inferior sealants, car waxes and polishes made with old science and technology! This will out last and out shine them all!
- ✅ Super Easy to Apply and Buff! – No professional needed! See why all our customers rave at how it’s so simple to use! We made it easier to apply and wipe off compared to all others on the market!! This will be the quickest and easiest proper wax job that you will ever do! No more getting an arm work-out trying to remove your wax!
- ✅ Super Slick Mirror Shine! – Most products nowadays will make your vehicle look pretty good. Our product will bring the gloss up to another level!! Exceed your expectations with incredible crystal-clear reflections! Surfaces become super slick and will continue to bead for months! You will be amazed at how unbelievably sleek and reflective your vehicle will look! Finally get that new show room shine that will make all the neighbors jealous!!
- ✅ Why choose CAR GUYS? – We Care About Quality! Our products are made with the latest advancements in science, using the best equipment available. This helps us make consistently high quality products that always work great! Every formula we make is mixed and bottled, in the USA, by hard working Americans!
- ✅ We Care About Customer Satisfaction! – We're Not Happy, If You're Not Happy! If you're not happy with our product, for ANY REASON at all, get in contact with CAR GUYS anytime after your purchase, and we’ll be happy to provide a full refund. So what are you waiting for?! -- Click 'Add to Cart' Now!
The CarGuys Liquid Wax is a great fully synthetic polymer sealant that will require you to first decontaminate your vehicle thoroughly before applying it.
All existing sealant and wax should be removed using products like Adams Strip Wash or Chemical Guys Clean Slate before you can apply this product.
If you fail to remove them prior to using this wax, the shine won’t last long as products like carnauba wax last only for some weeks before they start breaking down.
It’s worth noting that Car Guys Liquid wax is non-abrasive; therefore, it’s also advisable to always polish the vehicle first if it contains swirl marks, oxidization, and scratches. You can use Meguiar’s ultimate polish to remove these defects from black car paint.
You can also decide to clay the vehicle, although this step is optional. A clay bar is a sticky bar that, when rubbed on your car paint, helps eliminate stuck-on grit, bugs, tar, etc.
CarGuys Hybrid Wax Sealant also works wonderfully well with Liquid Wax. You can use the Hybrid Wax Sealant when drying your vehicle after washing it to boost the shine and add an extra layer of protection.
This will make it easier to wash the car next time. Combining these two products will give you the best results on your black car.
- Last longer (6 – 12 months)
- It’s effortless to apply
- Delivers a deep mirror-like shine
- Can be used on car paint, rims, glass, and metal
- 100% refund if not satisfied
- It takes six hours between layers
- Some users say that it stains plastic
- You must use other products to remove all existing wax and sealant
4. Collinite Liquid Insulator
- Collinite's #1 selling, "most talked about" product
- A last step wax that combines ease of use, high gloss shine and legendary durability
- Long-lasting results, 4-7 months of weather protection
- Easy on, easy off application
- Unique durability and water beading
Collinite Liquid Insulator is every car owner’s favorite wax right now. While the wax is pretty much affordable, it still delivers equal (if not better) results than products that cost 10x more.
Although the product seems to thicken in cold weather; however, it softens up again once placed in a bath of warm water. It is formulated with synthetic waxes to give adequate protection to your car and carnauba wax, which delivers the shine.
According to collinite:
The product delivers carnauba shine and long-lasting coating that protects finish and shields against harmful elements, such as rain, UV, snow, dust, salt, dirt, bugs, grime, stains, etc.
Many users have confirmed that the wax can last up to 6 months when applied on a properly cleaned surface.
- Great shine at an affordable price
- Easy to apply as it’s in liquid form
- Protects against UV, snow, rain, salt, dirt, dust, grime, stains, bugs, etc.
- Very durable
- Conceals scratches pretty well
- Easily restores shine to faded car paint
- Top rating by black car owners
- NOT to be used on rubber, glass, or black trim
- Can be relatively hard to buff off, so you have to use a very thin layer
5. Chemical Guys Black Car Kit
- Perfect for black and dark colored paintwork
- Cleans, enhances, and protects any black car
- Helps prevent any swirls or scratches
- Stocked with premium soap, glaze, and wax for black cars
- Premium microfiber towels and soft foam applicators further reduce scratches
If you want the best wax for black cars with scratches that really delivers on its promises, then Chemical Guys Black CarKit is all you need.
Chemical Guys is a famous manufacturer of quality car wax and general car maintenance products. Their black car kit features a light polish that helps remove light stains and scratches.
It can be used to restore old faded paint on black cars as well as deliver a deep gloss to new vehicles. Aside from that, car owners can also use Chemical Guys Black Car Kit to eliminate rough contamination and protect paintwork against pollution and harmful UV solar rays.
What causes those ugly scratches and swirls on your car paint is the dirt or grit that’s usually on your car surface. Excitingly, this kit has everything you need to clean your black car like a pro, such as quality cleaning soaps, superb microfiber towels, applicators, and waxes.
What is so remarkable about this product is that it’s easy to apply, has a premium kit, and built-in UV protection and water repellent.
- Quick and easy application
- Easily fills in swirls marks
- Fantastic all-in-one wax with sealant, hybrid gloss enhancer, and glaze
- Removes few oxidization on car paint
- Shine doesn’t last for a long time, especially in bad weather
What To Look At When Buying Waxes For Black Car Scratches
While there are many wax products available in the market today, not all of them are suitable for your black car. Therefore, when searching for the best wax for your black car, have the following in mind while considering a particular product:
1. Type of wax
Different waxes are meant for various purposes. For fairly decent protection and shine, use synthetic wax, and go for carnauba wax for a deeper shine and superb protection.
Sadly, carnauba wax doesn’t last long like synthetic wax, as you need to continue reapplying it more often than synthetic wax.
2. Simple preparation
You should not just slap some waxes on your car and call it a day as that will only seal in those harmful contaminants that will eat away at your car paint, leading to lasting paint damage.
Some cars will need less preparation before waxing, while others will require more preparation. However, there will be no need to spend hours prepping your car paint before waxing it. The best car waxes will only require you to wash the car thoroughly before they can be applied.
3. Style of Wax
Depending on the environment you live in, the paint coat, and ease of use, you will want to choose between paste wax, spray wax, liquid wax, or wipes.
4. Easy application and removal
Not every car owner has access to a rotary buffer or a dual-action polisher, but that’s not a problem. The best car waxes for black or dark-colored vehicles should require minimal effort to apply and remove.
The manufacturer should provide explicit instructions on how much product should be used over a specified surface area. A few swipes using a microfiber towel should also be enough to remove wax. The Turtle Car Wax did a great job on this aspect.
You also want to go for a durable car wax product; one application should be good enough for a few months. There will be no need to reapply the wax very often, so you will be able to save both time and money.
6. Wipes clean
The best wax for black automobiles wipes away paint defects, leaving no trace except for a protective layering. Different factors determine how well a wax wipes off, but generally, the wax should not harden immediately after applying it.
While paste wax is slightly different, liquid wax should act more like lotion once it is applied. Overall, it’s also easier to use a wax that wipes clean.
Apart from protecting your car paint from the elements, good wax should also boost the paint’s shine.
You can remove minor scratches if you use wax the right way, but a good car wax corrects every defect as they are applied without requiring any extra step or special knowledge.
Best Car Wax Brands
Meguiar’s has its headquarter in Irvine, California, United States. The company has been in the car care industry for over a century.
If you want to give your car a wonderful treat and restore its lost glory, we suggest you check out Meguiar’s Classic Wash & Wax Kit. It’s one of Maguire’s best car care products.
2. Turtle wax
Established in 1944 and headquartered in Illinois, United States, Turtle Wax Store is known for its high-quality car maintenance products. Check out Turtle Wax’s Super Hard Shell Car Wax if you’re a fan paste wax.
3. Chemical guys
The Chemical Guy Store is situated in California, United States, and they’ve been in the automobile industry for years.
Check out their Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish to add some extra deep wet shine, fill minor scratches and swirls, as well as clean minor stains and imperfections on your car paint.
Difference Between Standard Wax and Black Car Wax
The standard car wax can be used on black vehicles; however, it may fail to hide the swirls, nicks, scratches, and other paint defects.
Car wax that is formulated specifically for black cars bonds well with the black paint and corrects the visible flaws much better. It equally ensures that every spot, contaminant, stain, and minor scratches are completely removed.
How to Wax a Black Car With Scratches
Watch the short video below to learn how to wax a black car with scratches using Chemical Guys Black Car Care Kit:
Black Car Wax Frequently Asked Questions
Which wax is best for black cars?
All the car waxes listed here works incredibly fine for black cars. But we highly recommend Meguiar’s Black Wax as one of the best waxes for black cars with swirls.
Does wax remove swirl marks?
Yes, many car waxes on the market today are effective at removing swirl marks.
What is the best wax to hide scratches?
Any of the products we reviewed on this post will hide scratches perfectly. However, we’ve tried the Chemical Guys Black Car Care Kit and can vouch for it.
Should black cars be waxed more than other vehicles?
There’s no specific answer to this as it totally depends on the environment you live in. For example, if your car is covered with a ton of dust, dirt, and other environmental elements, then YES, you should wax and polish it more often.
As a general rule of thumb, wax your vehicle every 4 – 6 months to maintain its shine and gloss.
How long should wax be left on the car before being wiped off?
Check the manufacturer’s recommendations on the wax container to see how long it should be left on the car.
But if you can’t find any instructions in that regard, we recommend leaving the wax for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 7 to 8 hours before removing it.
Does waxing remove the oxidation on cars?
No, it doesn’t, and it’s not advisable to wax an oxidized car. The real solution to oxidation is to simply repaint the car.
You need quality car wax products to protect your black car from scratches, swirls, dirt, and other external elements. As you can see, we’ve listed some of the best wax for black cars with stretches and swirls in the market.
Now, take your time and check out each of them – and then pick the one that best describes your needs.
Remember, do not wax on the rubber or plastic parts of your black car. And when trying to choose a black car wax, pay attention to the factors we mentioned above.