What are the best oils for high mileage cars that burn oil? Over the years, as you keep driving your car, it accumulates more miles, which is displayed in the odometer. When you drive past 100,000 miles, it is advisable that you switch to high mileage oils.
Although most experts do not buy into the assumption that high mileage oils are different from regular synthetic oils, manufactures of these oils claim that they include special additives that are meant to be beneficial to high mileage engines.
Currently, there are thousands of high mileage oils in the market from different manufacturers. Finding the best one to use for your engine can be quite daunting and confusing. Hence, we have put up this extensive piece to help you choose the top best options the market has to offer.
Should You Buy High Mileage Oils?
Most engines with over 100,000 miles tend to burn oils much faster, and that can be linked with several severely worn-out engine parts. High mileage oils are believed to reduce wear on such engines, thus, improving oil flow and usage.
According to manufacturers of these oils, they claim that the oils contain special additives that benefit high mileage engines. In other words, these oils are formulated to offer better sealing and protection to engines that have been driven over 75,000 miles.
Thus, typically, high mileage oils are liable to prevent o-ring leaks and gasket leaks. They also tend to clean the engine more effectively than normal synthetic oils or conventional motor oils.
Generally, high mileage oils are worth buying only if your car has driven over 100,000 miles.
Recommended Reading: Best Oil For Cars With Over 200k Miles
Best Oils For High Mileage Cars That Burn Oil
There are pretty many options out there, but these few ones here are definitely the best oils for high mileage cars that burn oil:
1. Valvoline High Mileage
- MAXLIFE TECHNOLOGY PREVENTS engine breakdown with 40% better wear protection than the industry standard
- REFRESH AGING SEALS AND PREVENT LEAKS with seal conditioners
- REDUCE SLUDGE, DEPOSITS, CORROSION, AND RUST with added detergents – keep motors clean inside
- ENHANCED FRICTION PERFORMANCE HELPS MAXIMIZE POWER with advanced friction-fighting agents
- MEETS OR EXCEEDS ALL REQUIREMENTS of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN
Starting off with the Valvoline High Mileage oil. This motor oil is formulated for high mileage engines, and it is affordable.
The additives used in making this oil are verified to improve seal protection to checkmate leaks and wear. It is a 5w30 synthetic blend motor oil for all engines with the 5W30 specification.
This motor oil comes in a 5-quart container, and in addition, it is made with Valvoline MaxLife technology.
The manufacturer recommends this oil for engines that have put out 75,000 miles. It’d help to reduce wear on such engines, as well as cleanout sludge and deposits much better than “normal” motor oils.
- Advanced anti-wear additives to produce thick anti-wear layers to help prevent high mileage engine breakdown.
- The formula includes detergents to clean out sludge and deposits
- Premium seal conditioners to checkmate leaks
- Formula includes premium antioxidants
- Affordable price
- Too many positive reviews on Amazon
- Offers maximum protection and closes slight seal leaks
- It is a synthetic blend oil
- Not recommended for heavy trucks
2. Castrol 03128C Edge
- Titanium Strong For Maximum Engine Performance In Vehicles With Over 75,000 Miles
- Maximizes Short And Long Term Engine Performance On High Mileage Engines
- Boosted With Extra Fluid Titanium Technology To Increase Oil Film Strength And Reduce Film Breakdown
- Reduces Leaks, Oil Burn Off And Power-Robbing Deposits
Castrol is a notable brand that produces auto products. This high mileage oil from the brand meets several specifications, but it is a 5w30 oil. It is a fully synthetic motor oil with an advanced formula that includes premium, specially-designed additives to prevent leaks and improve seal protection.
The Castrol 03128C Edge comes in a 5QT container, which is sizable, and that also makes it a good buy for the price.
This high mileage oil is safe to use on cars and vans. Furthermore, the manufacturer alleges that it used an advanced, patented technology that prevents catalytic converter and emission system failure.
- Titanium strong for optimal engine performance on high mileage cars
- The formula includes extra fluid titanium technology to increase oil film strength and reduce breakdown
- Typically improves fuel economy on high mileage vehicles
- Efficiently reduces leaks
- Prevents oil burn off
- Cleans out power-robbing deposits
- Full synthetic oil
- A few Amazon customers didn’t get the best of this oil
3. Mobil 1 High Mileage Oil
- Mobil 1 High Mileage full-synthetic motor oil 5W-30 is designed for engines with over 75,000 miles to go up to 10,000 miles between oil changes.*
- Utilizes Mobil 1’s signature Triple Action Formula to deliver outstanding engine performance, protection, and cleanliness
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean and helping to improve your fuel economy
- Provides excellent internal engine heat protection (up to 500 degrees F) and low temperature protection (to -30 degrees F)
- Helps extend engine life by working to prevent damaging deposits and sludge buildup
No doubt, Mobil 1 oils are among the best in the market, and this one is no exemption. This high mileage oil from Mobil is fully synthetic and it includes premium additives that help to protect high mileage engines from breakdowns and burning off oil.
This oil is recommended for all kinds of cars with 5w30 specifications; however, it is has a 5w20 option. According to the manufacturer, this oil includes proprietary additives that protect up to 10,000 miles between oil changes. Furthermore, this oil is available in 5QT and 1QT containers.
Recommended Post: Will My Car Run Without Oil Pressure Sensor?
- Includes premium and proprietary additives for overall excellent lubrication
- Full synthetic motor oil for high mileage engines
- Protect critical engine parts in high mileage vehicles
- Cleans high mileage engines very well
- Reduces oil burns and improves performance
- Too many good reviews on Amazon
- The price is quite too high
4. AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil
- 5 quarts of high-mileage full synthetic motor oil; SN Plus, 5W-20; high level protection for engines with over 75,000 miles and vehicles with longer drain intervals
- Prevents build up that can cause rust and corrosion
- Reduces friction for less engine wear; helps reduce exhaust emissions
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
This AmazonBasics high mileage oil is specified for 5w20, but it has 5w30, 10w20, 5w40, and many other options.
It is the right oil to use on all kinds of vehicles, including trucks, that have driven over 75,000 miles. The oil is formulated with enhanced additives – though not too different from what’s used on other similar oils.
It comes with a user manual that provides detailed instructions on how to use the oil on your high mileage car. This oil is fully synthetic, and it protects up to 8,000 miles between oil changes. It has the capability to reduce oil burns and improve engine performance.
- Ideal for high mileage engines
- Ensures longer drain intervals
- The formula helps to prevent build ups
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
- Offered by a trusted brand
- Works perfectly for the purpose
- 5w30, 5w40, 10w30 options are available in 5QT too
- Full synthetic
- The container does not allow you to see through it to know how much oil you’d poured into your engine
5. Pennzoil – 550022812-6PK
- Conventional High Mileage 10W-30 engine oil specially formulated to help stop leaks and reduced oil consumption in worn engines
- Recommended for vehicles with over 75,000 miles
- Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
- Provides proven wear protection for engine parts
- Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications: API SP-RC and all previous categories; ILSAC GF-6A
This high mileage oil from Pennzoil is yet a good one to use on engines with over 75,000 miles. It is not a synthetic oil anyway, but it is made with advanced additives, which were added to the formula to protect high mileage engines, as well as prevent leaks.
The Pennzoil – 550022812-6PK conventional high mileage oil is very affordable and is suitable to use on cars, vans, and trucks. This oil is specified for 10W-30 engines, both new and old models of the engine. It helps to prevent sludge, reduce oil burning, and protect against wear.
Recommended Post: 5w30 Vs 10w40 Engine Oil
- The formula contains seal conditioning agents
- Formulated to reduce leaks and oil consumption
- Provides excellent wear protection for engine parts
- Meets industry specifications: API SP and all previous categories
- Very affordable
- Works on cars, vans, and trucks
- Excellent seal protection for high mileage engines
- It is a conventional motor oil
What To Consider Before Buying High Mileage Oil
Apparently, one thing is sure, not all the oils mentioned above are good for your engine. For example, some engines are meant to use 5w20, while some others are specified for 5w30 or 10w20. That said, when you’re in the market for new oil, ensure to check the viscosity (5w20, 5w30, 10w20).
We mentioned 5w20, 5w30, and 10w20 because they are the commonest specifications for modern engines. Interestingly, most manufacturers produce high mileage oils of these viscosity ranges; so, you can choose the one for your engine at the point of placing your order.
Notwithstanding, these viscosities are mostly compatible. That is to say, you can use 5w20 high mileage oil on an engine specified for 5w30 and nothing would happen. However, it is more advisable to always stick with the specification for your engine.
So, if your car uses 5w20 synthetic oil, when switching to high mileage oils, go for a 5w20 high mileage oil; it’d deliver more benefits to your engine and can guarantee longer engine life. Without saying much, let’s get down to our main topic.
Read Also: Can You Mix 5w30 And 10w40 Oil?
How to Buy a High Mileage Engine Oils
When shopping for a new high mileage oil, there are factors you should consider. We also considered those factors to end up with these products recommended above.
The brand that made the oil is very important. Some brands are remarkable for using patented formulas, which guarantee better protection and more impressive benefits.
Top manufacturers include Amosil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol. High mileage oils from these brands are reliable and well formulated.
2. Type of Oil
Not all high mileage oils are fully synthetic; most of them are synthetic blends, while some are conventional oils. So, you should watch out for this when buying new motor oil for your old car.
If you’ve been using full synthetic, it is best if you‘d stick to that; on the other hand, conventional oils are cheaper, and most of them are as good as full synthetic oils. So, they are worth buying too.
Another important thing here is the viscosity, which is represented with 5w20, 10w40, and other similar indications. Check your engine specification and go for the most appropriate viscosity.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can You Use High Mileage Oils On New Vehicles?
While you can practically use any type of motor oil for your engine, it is best and advisable not to use high mileage oils on new engines. Also, you should use the appropriate viscosity oil for your engine.
2. Are High Mileage Oils Any Good?
Yes, they are good and recommended for vehicles that have traveled hundreds of thousands of miles. They help to reduce oil burning, and also offer better protection against wear on old engines.
3. Where Can I Buy High Mileage Oils?
They are available online and offline; you can find a number of high mileage oils on Amazon, and you can find them on local (offline) auto shops too.
Recommended Post: Can I Mix 5w30 And 5w40 Oil?