When a car gets older, its components become weaker and prone to damages. A high mileage engine will possibly have one or more leaky parts if not properly maintained. As we all know, routine and proper maintenance is what makes a car last longer, while still functioning at its best.
One of the best and simplest maintenance practices is to change your engine oil regularly. Basically, it is advisable to use full synthetic motor oils for your new car, but as the car ages, you should consider shifting from using “normal” synthetic engine oils to “High Mileage” synthetic oils.
High mileage oils are specially formulated for old engines; they include some premium additives that help to protect old engines against wear, reduce oil burning, and also prevent leaks.
Initially, no one was interested in high mileage oils, but today, it’s quite obvious that they’ve come to stay. In this post, we talk about some of the best high mileage oil for leaks.
Let’s get started!
What Is a High Mileage Vehicle?
Generally, a car that reads up to 75,000 miles or higher is considered a high mileage vehicle. It implies to say that high mileage engines are the engines in vehicles with over 75k miles.
Such engines are considered weaker, and as such, they require high maintenance, which includes using the best possible motor oils that would prevent the engine components from wearing off or breaking down easily.
Related Post: Best Oils for 200K Mileage Cars
Will High Mileage Oil Prevent Engine Oil Leaks?
Apparently, this is the question that comes to your mind when you hear about “best high mileage oil for leaks.” Well, to some extent, high mileage oils can prevent oil leaks.
They can do this because they include specific ingredients in their formulas, which help to coat engine parts, as well as cover up tiny pores.
More so, you can mix the oil with a high mileage oil additive specially formulated for leaks protection. With that, it is safe to say that high mileage oils can prevent oil leaks in old engines. When we talk of “old engines,” we’re simply referring to engines with over 75k miles.
Best High Mileage Oil For Leaks
These motor oils reviewed below include additives that help to prevent leaks by coating and closing up tiny pores on the engine’s internal parts.
1. Castrol 03129C Edge
- Patented Phosphorus Replacement Technology to help extend the life of your emission system
- 10X better high temperature performance, as measured in Sequence IIIH engine test vs. API SP test limit
- 6X better wear protection, as measured in latest Sequence IVA engine test
- 1.4X better sludge protection, as measured in Sequence VH engine test vs. API SP test limit
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 to prevent low speed pre ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection
This high mileage oil is one of the best in the market. It is made with a strong formula that helps to reduce oil burn and leaks in old engines. Castrol is a renowned auto care products manufacturer, and the company has provided its loyal customers with original products over many years.
Specifically, the Castrol 03129C Edge high mileage oil is made with titanium-strong formula. It is one of the best heavy-duty motor oils from the brand. Most people that use motor allege that it also improves fuel efficiency and keeps the engine clean all the time.
- Boosted with fluid titanium technology for improved oil film strength
- The formula helps to reduce leaks, oil burn off, and cleans out carbon deposits
- Emissions system protection
- Available in different viscosity grades
- It is a fully synthetic oil
- Worked for over 90% of users that bought from Amazon
- Gives you more time between oil change intervals
- You need a heavy-duty oil filter to get the best of this oil
2. Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage Oil
- MAXLIFE TECHNOLOGY PREVENTS engine breakdown with 40% better wear protection than the industry standard
- REFRESH AGING SEALS AND PREVENT LEAKS with seal conditioners
- REDUCE SLUDGE, DEPOSITS, CORROSION, AND RUST with added detergents – keep motors clean inside
- ENHANCED FRICTION PERFORMANCE HELPS MAXIMIZE POWER with advanced friction-fighting agents
- MEETS OR EXCEEDS ALL REQUIREMENTS of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN
Valvoline has a range of high mileage oils, but this particular one with proprietary “MaxLife Technology” is what you need for your old engine. It is not full synthetic motor oil, but it outperforms some fully synthetic oils in the market, thanks to the proprietary MaxLife Technology.
This high mileage oil is made with premium additives, which help to prevent burn-off, leaks, as well as cleanout deposits from the engine.
It also features premium seal conditioners, which help with leak prevention. So, this oil coats your engine with a seal and keeps everything safe in-between change intervals.
- Enhanced anti-wear additives deliver a thick & durable coating to engine breakdown
- Includes detergents to clean out sludge and deposits
- Premium seal conditioners to prevent leaks
- Superior antioxidants for optimal performance even in extreme conditions
- Features the company’s proprietary technology
- Perfectly cleans old engines
- Available in different viscosity grades: 5w20, 10w30, 5w30 and 10w40
- It is not full synthetic oil
3. Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Oil
- Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability
- Exceptional control of oil breakdown helps maintain stable oil viscosity
- Helps to maintain long engine life and is compatible with engine seals
- Excellent low temperature capabilities
- Quick cold weather starting for fast protection and extended engine life
Mobil 1 is one of the most reputable brands that produce motor oils of different grades and types. This high mileage oil from the brand is inarguably one of the best you can buy in the market right now. It is a fully synthetic motor oil made with an improved formula that prevents leaks, oil burn off, and wear.
This oil guarantees longer oil change intervals, and it can significantly improve high mileage engine performance.
Related Post: Can I Use 5w30 Instead of 5w20?
Also, the formula includes cleaning agents so this oil cleans your engine to unlock its best performance. Furthermore, this motor oil is engineered to perform efficiently even in extreme conditions.
- Prevents oil breakdown and maintain stable oil viscosity
- Compatible with engine seals
- Impressive performance in low temps
- Improves engine life
- Excellent thermal and oxidation stability
- Reputable brand
- Advanced full synthetic formula
- Works for all high mileage engines
- The price is high
4. Amazon Basics High Mileage Motor Oil
- 1 quart of high-mileage full synthetic motor oil (6-pack); SN Plus, dexos1-Gen2, 5W-30; high level protection for engines with over 75,000 miles and vehicles with longer drain intervals
- Prevents build up that can cause rust and corrosion
- Reduces friction for less engine wear; helps reduce exhaust emissions
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
The Amazon Basics brand is a notable brand that provides high-quality products on Amazon stores. This high mileage oil from the brand is one of the best to use on old engines. Its formula is specially formulated to prevent leaks, reduce oil burn-off, and protect the core engine components against wear.
Also, this oil is available in different grades; so, you have to choose the one specified for your car’s engine. The Amazon Basics high mileage oil is sold at an affordable price, and considering the rich formula, it’s a great buy at the price.
More so, this oil reduces friction among internal engine components, as well as treats the emissions system.
- Formulated to reduce engine wear
- Prevents leaks by conditioning the seals
- Proved high resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
- Reduce exhaust emissions
- Good price
- Different grades available
- Works for cars, vans, and trucks
- Meets various industry specifications
- You can’t see through the bottle to know how much oil you’ve got left
5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Oil
- Full synthetic 10W-30 engine oil made with natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- No other leading motor oil provides better wear protection for your engine (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- Helps protect engines from loss of power and provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Keeps pistons dramatically cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-6 and Sequence IIIH piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30)
- Delivers unsurpassed sludge protection to help keep high-performance and luxury car engines as close as possible to factory clean (Based on Sequence VH Sludge Test using SAE 5W-20)
Here’s another impressive full synthetic high mileage oil for all types of old engines. This motor is formulated with advanced additives, detergents, and conditioners; it outperforms most “normal” full synthetic oils that are not specified for high mileage engines.
The manufacturer alleges that this oil is made from 100% natural gas and not crude oil. More so, this oil’s formula was made with Pennzoil’s patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology; thus, it delivers exceptional protection against wear.
Furthermore, this motor oil improves fuel economy and protects against sludge.
- Made from natural gas
- Features proprietary PurePlus Technology
- Deliver better protection against engine wear and deposit formation
- Cleans every engine parts perfectly
- Improves engine performance and fuel economy
- Conditions older seals to protect against leaks
- Good price
- Some users said the oil didn’t work for them
6. Royal Purple High Mileage Synthetic Motor Oil
- Specifically Designed To Minimize Wear And Restore Lost Performance In Engines With More Than 75,000 Miles
- Formulated With Robust Zinc/Phosphorus Anti-Wear Compounds Combined With Royal Purple'S Proprietary Additive Technology
- Hmx Is Chemically Enhanced To Revitalize Hardened Seals, Reducing Oil Consumption Common In High-Mileage Engines
- Reduces Friction And Metal-To-Metal Contact For Peak Engine Performance
High mileage engines require advanced synthetic formulas to keep delivering the best performance. This full synthetic high mileage motor oil from Royal Purple is made with advanced formula and it offers excellent protection against wear, as well as conditions the seals to prevent oil leaks.
The formula includes Zinc/Phosphorus anti-wear additives and other ingredients that guarantee extended oil change intervals. This oi cleans sludge inside the engine and prevents buildups. It is a super affordable, high-performance engine oil for older vehicles.
- Fortified formula; includes with Zinc/Phosphorus additive
- Reduces engine deposits
- Offers superior corrosion and rust protection
- Formula includes polar additives
- Improves horsepower and fuel efficiency
- Cleans sludge and deposits
- Unbeatable price
- Stops providing exceptional performance after 8,000 miles
How Often Should You Change Oil On a High Mileage Vehicle?
It’s a general rule that you change the oil in your engine between 5,000 – 10,000 miles. Some drivers – mostly those that use conventional motor oils – do change at 3,500 miles.
That said, regardless of whether you’re driving a new car with a few miles on it, or you’re using your old car with several miles on the odometer, you should endeavor to change the oil in your engine before, or at 10,000 miles.
Read Also: Can I Use 10w30 Instead Of 5w30?
Every engine needs clean oil to keep delivering its best performance, and at 10,000 miles, the oil inside the engine may have thinned out, reduced, or become very dirty; thus, affecting the engine performance and triggering other unusual signs.
To prevent that, and make your engine live longer, change the oil at 5k – 10k miles intervals.
What to Consider When Buying High Mileage Oil For Leaks
Hereunder are the core factors you should consider before buying a high mileage motor oil from any store.
The major (if not the only) difference between high mileage motor oils and other “normal” motor oils is the formula.
High mileage oils are typically made with more “heavy-duty” formulas that include several additives poised to deliver exceptional benefits to older engines, otherwise known as high mileage engines.
2. Viscosity Grades
Since the car is old with several miles on the odometer, it’s time you stick with the exact viscosity specified for the engine. If you’ve been mixing oils of different weights and viscosity, you should stop that and stick to one oil, and it should be a motor oil that meets the viscosity of your engine.
Check the owner’s manual to know the recommended oil viscosity for your engine. Viscosity grades are generally represented as 5w20, 5w30, 10w40, 0w10, and so on; where the first number is how the oil would flow at cold temps, and the second number after the letter “W” is how the oil would flow in high temps.
3. Follow Recommendations and Users’ Reviews
Lastly, even when you know the actual oil grade for your engine, many companies produce different grades of motor oils; if you’re not experienced in choosing motor oils, you may end up buying an ineffective oil that may even reduce your engine’s performance (instead of improving it).
That said, it is advisable to check users’ reviews for any motor oil you want to buy. Also follow expert recommendations or your mechanic’s recommendation. This will help you to buy the best oil for your engine.
Read Also: Can You Mix 5w30 And 5w40 Oil?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do High Mileage Oils Last Up To 15,000 Miles?
Some manufacturers claim their motor oils can still deliver effective protection up to 15k miles, but that’s not entirely true. Once you’re above 10k miles, you need to go for an oil change as soon as possible.
Above 10,000 miles, most motor oils (including full synthetic oils) must have thinned out, or accumulate dirt; so you need to drain it out and add new oil.
2. Can You Mix Oil Additives With High Mileage Motor Oils?
If you have a high mileage oil additive, you can mix it with the high mileage oil you’re using for your car. The additive would blend with the ones in the oil to deliver optimal protection to all the core engine parts.
3. What Is The Best High Mileage Oil For Leaks?
The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic oil is a good one; the formula includes Pennzoil’s proprietary PurePlus Technology, which makes the oil perform better than most other high mileage oils out there. Notwithstanding, the Valvoline MaxLife motor oil performs well in any condition.
There are quite too many high mileage oils from different manufacturers; however, these 6 products reviewed above are worth considering first, before the other ones in the market.
More so, these motor oils are made with advanced and proprietary additives that guarantee optimal protection, seal conditioning, and improved fuel economy.