Not all drivers pay serious attention to their oil filters, but the truth remains that you really should change the filter at intervals. Careful drivers choose to change the oil filter at each oil change, and that’s a good one. But if that’s not cool with you, maybe you should change yours after 2 oil change intervals.
However, changing your oil filter is one thing, and getting a good oil filter is another thing. There are pretty many designs of oil filters out there, and some of them aren’t really recommended for all cars. If you’ve already driven your car several thousands of miles, you need to consider any of these best high mileage oil filters.
They are called high mileage oil filters because they are strategically built for old, high mileage engines. These filters can improve your engine’s performance by allowing oil to flow swiftly into the engine while trapping any containment in the oil as it flows.
What’s The Function Of Oil Filters?
Over and again, you must have heard that “Oil” is the “blood” of an engine (vehicle). Your car’s engine needs to be constantly lubricated with clean oil for it to run smoothly.
However, as oil flows from the reservoir into the engine and other metal components that require lubrication, it carries dirt and some containment that sit in the drains and hoses. The function of an oil filter is to trap the dirt, debris, and containment in the oil that flows into the engine.
So to say, an oil filter blocks dirt from getting inside the engine, and that means your engine would keep getting clean oil, which is required to unlock the engine’s best performance.
Related Post: What Happens If You Don’t Change Oil Filter?
When Should You Change Oil Filters?
Over time, the filter gets clogged as it keeps trapping debris and dirt in the oil. A clogged oil filter can trigger several unusual signs; cause a drop in engine performance, lead to excessive overheating, and other anomalies. So, it is important to regularly change the oil filter.
There is no specific period for changing the oil filter – just don’t wait until it gets clogged before you change it. Notwithstanding, some experts would advise you to change your oil filter when changing the oil (since oil filters are inexpensive and don’t take time to fix).
Best High Mileage Oil Filters
Hereunder are the best filters to use on high mileage engines. They are sturdier than most other filters out there, and filter oils pretty well.
1. Royal Purple Extended Life Premium Oil Filter
This oil filter from Royal Purple is one of the best options for high mileage engines. It is a sturdy filter designed to trap even fine particles to ensure that your engine is only getting the clean oil it deserves. This filter is vehicle-specific, so you have to confirm your vehicle model before buying one.
The filter is built with premium materials to withstand all operational conditions; the material is 100% synthetic micro-glass media. This material is verified to deliver superior particle removal – has up to 99% filtration efficiency. It can trap particles down to 25 microns in size.
- Delivers efficient filtration regardless of oil type
- Lasts longer
- Good price
- Reputable brand
- Some Amazon users allege the unit they got was leaky
2. Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
- Bosch recommends the use of Castrol motor oil
- Exclusive FILTECH media technology screens out more harmful contaminants for greater engine protection
- Strong steel base plates and housings prevent warpage, leaks, and poor fit
- Silicone anti-drainback valve ensures a supply of clean oil when the vehicle is started
- High lubricity gasket design provides a tight seal, yet allows for easy removal
If you use Castrol motor oil, this is the filter for you; but notwithstanding, you can use this filter on your vehicle regardless of the oil brand you use – you just have to make sure you choose the right fit for your car. Bosch is a renowned auto car manufacturer, and this oil filter from the brand is very effective.
The Bosch 3323 oil filter is built with the company’s exclusive FILTECH media technology that is verified to screen out harmful contaminants for greater engine protection. It features a solid steel base to prevent leaks, warp, and poor fit.
This oil filter also features a silicone anti-drain-back valve for optimal performance. It is really a good one to go for; in addition, the price for this filter is unbeatable.
- Large filter inside canister
- Silicone anti-drain back check valve
- Solidly built; does not warp
- Efficient filtration regardless of your motor oil type/brand
- You need to carefully select the size for your car
3. FRAM HM3682 High Mileage Oil Filter
- Engineered to work with High Mileage Motor Oil to provide continued protection for vehicles with 75,000 miles or more
- FRAM High Mileage filter contains a cartridge of proprietary detergents and compounds that maintain viscosity, reduce corrosive wear, neutralize acids and keep engine component cleaner
- Designed for drivers who need to keep their older vehicles running for the long term
- SureGrip anti-slip texture makes changing FRAM oil filters quick and easy
This high mileage oil filter is suitable for all kinds of vehicles, but you have to choose the best fit for your car. One of the reasons to choose this filter is because it is specially built for high mileage engines – vehicles with over 75,000 miles on their odometers.
Related Post: Best Oil For Cars With Over 100k Miles
For effective filtration, this oil filter features a cartridge of proprietary detergents and compounds that maintain oil viscosity, neutralize acids, reduce corrosive wear, and keep the internal engine components clean always. The SureGrip anti-slip texture makes it easy to replace this filter when due.
- Mainly built for high mileage engines
- Unbeatable price
- Patented and proprietary features
- Perfect fit for indicated vehicles
- Some users allege the filter was broken on delivery
4. PurolatorBOSS Maximum Engine Protection Oil Filter
- Up to 15, 000 miles; 99% Dirt Removal Power
- SmartFUSION Technology featuring a reinforced polymer mesh backing for expanded dirt holding capacity
- Silicone anti-drainback valve for long-life and protection against dry starts; PuroSEAL Gasket made from ethylene-acrylic for superior leak protection and life expectancy
- BOSS Steel Casing provides stability for greater resistance against extreme pressure while metal end-caps enhance durability
- Compatible with select models from Chrysler Ford General Motors Honda Hyundai Mazda Mitsubishi Nissan Saturn
Although the manufacturer alleges that this filter can trap dirt efficiently up to 15,000 miles before requiring replacement, we’d advise you to change the filter earlier than 15k miles.
The PurolatorBoss oil filter is built with SmartFUSION Technology, which features a reinforced polymer mesh to trap dirt and other particles in oils.
It also features a silicone anti-drain-back valve with BOSS Steel Casing for stability. This filter functions efficiently in all conditions, and it has metal end-caps to guarantee durability.
You can use this oil filter on select Chrysler, General Motors, Ford, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Saturn models.
- High performance
- Improves high mileage engine performance
- Lasts longer
- Proprietary an patented features
- None spotted
5. WIX 57356XP Oil Filter
- Has synthetic, wired backed media
- Great for use with fully synthetic motor oils for harsh driving conditions
The WIX 57356XP oil filter is an affordable, very effective filter to use on select vehicle models. It features synthetic, wire-backed media that helps it to trap all kinds of dirt and containment carried by the oil flowing into your engine. This feature ensures that your engine only receives clean oil constantly.
However, the manufacturer strongly advises that you use this filter with fully synthetic motor oils, especially if you drive in extreme conditions. If you use synthetic blends or conventional oils for your engine, you will need to change this filter at every oil change interval.
- Highly efficient
- Decent price tag
- Good quality
- Seems to only work best with fully synthetic oils
6. Royal Purple 10-2867 Oil Filter
- Competitor cross references: Mobil 1 M1-110A, K&N HP-1010, FRAM (EG7317, TG7317, XG7317), and others
- Vehicle applications: 2001-2019 Acura & Honda, 1992-2005 Chrysler & Dodge, 1990-2001 Ford & Mercury, 1995-2019 Infiniti & Nissan, 1992-2019 Mitsubishi, 1983-2002 & 2009-2011 Mazda, 2004-2007 Saturn Vue, 2012-2019 Subaru, 2009-2010 Suzuki Equator, make sure to check your engine type for vehicle specific applicaiton
- 15,000 mile protection when used with full synthetic oil
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
- 15,000 mile protection when used with full synthetic oil Premium oil filter using all-synthetic micro-glass media to achieve 99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns or larger
Here’s a high mileage oil filter that lasts quite longer than most other options in the market. The Royal Purple 10-2867 filter is very effective in trapping dirt and debris, and it meets several industry specifications. You can use this filter on most vehicles built from 1992 to 2019.
While this filter can possibly last up to 15k miles, it is advisable you change it sooner than that. Also, when placing your order, ensure to choose your vehicle type. This filter features an all-synthetic micro-glass media, which guarantees up to 99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns or bigger.
- Traps even small debris and particles
- Reputable brand
- Proprietary features
- Slightly expensive
7. Fram XG7317 Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter
- Fram Ultra Synthetic is the filter for consumers looking to get the most out of their investment in full synthetic oil
- Proven extended protection up to 20,000 miles
- 99%+ dirt removal efficiency at greater than 20 microns
- Dual layered, synthetic media traps and holds dirt and extends the life of the filter
- Premium silicone anti-drainback valve helps eliminate dry starts to ensure safe start-up (for filters equipped with an ADBV)
Here’s another impressive oil filter from the Fram brand. This filter promises efficient filtration up to 20k miles, but don’t let it get to that extent before changing it – it’d do your engine more good if you change the oil filter before 15,000 miles. Notwithstanding, this is a premium oil filter from a notable brand.
This oil filter features dual layers for enhanced efficiency, and it also features metal screen traps on the synthetic media to hold more dirt and make the filter last longer. It goes on to feature SureGrip anti-slip texture – this oil filter is well built for all vehicle engines.
- Good for cars and trucks
- Lasts longer
- Very effective and easy to install/uninstall
- Unbeatable price
- A few Amazon users had bad experiences with this filter
8. K&N Premium Oil Filter
- HIGH FLOW RATES: Designed to provide exceptional flow rates and a consistent flow of oil to your engine
- VERSATILE COMPATIBILITY: Designed to operate with all synthetic, conventional, and blended motor oils
- PROTECT YOUR ENGINE: Pleated synthetic-blend filtration media removes most harmful contaminants
- EXTENSIVELY TESTED: Laboratory tested to ensure excellent capacity and burst strength
- EASY TO REMOVE: Fast and easy Wrench-Off removal
This premium oil filter works on various car models from Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and RAM. It is a powerful filter that traps up to 99% of dirt and allergies in motor oils.
The K&N premium oil filter improves flow rates at different temperatures, and it is compatible with all types of motor oils: synthetic, conventional, and blends.
Read Also: How Many Miles Can An Oil Filter Last?
It features a pleated synthetic-blend media to remove all kinds of contaminants in motor oils. Furthermore, this filter is easy to install or remove at any time. The heavy-duty canister design guarantees long-lasting durability; in addition, the manufacturer offers a 1-year limited warranty.
- Amazon’s top choice
- Works perfectly (as reported by most users)
- Easy to install and remove
- For the price, you could get other better options
How To Choose a Good High Mileage Oil Filter
1. Check Fitting
When in the market for a new high mileage oil filter, the most important thing to have in mind is the size and fitting.
Oil filters are vehicle-specific, so you have to choose the one that’s designed to fit into your car model. If you buy an oil filter meant for another car, you won’t be able to install it on your own car.
2. Brand and Price
You may need to consider the brand that made the oil filter you’re about the buy. Some of the best oil filters out there are made by FRAM, Royal Purple, and Bosch.
Notwithstanding, there are other notable manufacturers such as K&N and Purolator. The price factor comes in when you’re on a budget to buy a new oil filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are High Mileage Oil Filters Different From Regular Ones?
Not really, but oil filters specified for “high mileage” engines are typically built to be sturdier and more effective in trapping contaminants.
2. Do Oil Filters Improve Engine Performance?
By removing dirt from motor oils to allow only clean oil into the engine, oil filters can significantly trigger improved engine performance.
3. Can You Drive Without An Oil Filter
No, you can’t. The check engine light would come on and your engine is most likely to break down due to excessive inflow of oil (and dirt) into the engine.
Related Post: Why Is There Metal Shavings In Oil?
Basically, your mechanic should recommend the best oil filter you need to buy. But if you’re going to decide for yourself, these options above are the best-recommended ones to shop on Amazon.
You may need to do your own research before ending up with a particular oil filter.