There are affiliate links on this article. If you make a purchase through any of the links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
It is important to note that one of the most essential components in a car is the Fuel Pump. It serves as a mechanism for pumping or transferring fuel from a fuel tank to the internal combustion engine at a suitable pressure. But can a car run without a fuel pump?
Going by the above explanation alone, there is no denial of the fact that it is a near impossibility for a car to run without a fuel pump.
In this article, you’re going to learn more about the fuel pump and why a car cannot run without a fuel pump.
Can A Car Run Without A Fuel Pump?
No, a car cannot run without a fuel pump. To explain this, you need to understand that every component of your car has its own function.
All components work hand in hand to enable the car to move safely and as well, need each other to ensure proper functioning, the fuel pump inclusive.
Whenever your fuel pump is not functioning properly, it can result in significant problems ranging from the front to the rear bumper, not to mention not having it at all.
The importance of a fuel pump in your car can never be overemphasized. Just as the name implies, it pumps fuel from the gas tank to the engine, through some other mechanisms.
Considering the fact that what drives a car is fuel, which stimulates the engine to make the car kick off in motion.
Then, the fuel pump which is connected to your car engine from the gas tank makes the fuel to get to the engine at a suitable pressure and considerable amount.
Given the crucial role which the fuel pump plays in making your car move, it is, therefore, right to regard it as a very important component of a car that you can’t do without, thus, answering the question above.
Let’s quickly look into the importance of a fuel pump in your car that makes it an impossible feature that you can’t do without.
How Does a Fuel Pump Function?
Most cars today that makes use of an internal combustion engine carries a fuel pump.
It is either they come with electric pumps mounted within the fuel tank or inline pumps that function more closely towards the engine.
We believe that, with an in-depth knowledge of how a fuel pump function, you will get to know why it is impossible to run your car without it;
- Through your fuel pump, the fuel in your tank is drawn up through a line that moves toward the engine. Cars with electric pump is operated by a little motor that draws the fuel in your gas tank up through a line, whereas, in those with mechanical fuel pumps, the pump moves as your camshaft spins, and it draws fuel through a line using suction.
- Fuel journeys through the fuel line to the carburetor or the cylinder. In carbureted engines, fuel is injected with air and creates a mixture in the carburetor, before the mixture goes toward the cylinder. Whereas, in fuel-injected engines, fuel and air don’t mix until they get to the cylinder.
- Air is injected into the fuel to form a mixture. As soon as the mixture settles in the cylinder, your car is engaging some other parts to enable it run. Meanwhile, in the cylinder, a spark is added to the fuel.
- Your fuel and air mixture forms another spark. This is made possible through compression by the piston, making it more flammable. As the piston moves and the fuel mixture becomes more compressed, the piston fires.
- The Released energy now powers the crankshaft. Once you’ve started driving, it means that fuel has successfully moved your car further down the road and is been expelled as exhaust after its useful life.
Although there’re other little steps in the middle of the above processes, it still shows you that it wouldn’t have happened without the fuel pump. As a matter of fact, it all starts with the fuel pump.
It is important to note that, whenever the fuel you have in your tank somehow manages to avoid mixing with air, then it’s quite impossible for step 2-step 5 functions above to exist, hence, no progress would be made down the road.
What Is the Risk of Driving Without A Fuel Pump?
Arguably, you might also want to know what will happen if you run your car with a faulty fuel pump, not to mention, running it without a fuel pump at all. Well, there are certain risks you would be getting your car into by doing this.
Running your car with a faulty or no fuel pump will cause major performance and drivability issues with your car.
If your fuel to air ratio is off or absent and the cylinders aren’t getting the fuel, it will make the pistons not to fire and your engine will find it difficult to move forward, that’s if it moves at all.
Also, it would make your car simply stagnant. That is to say, it would refuse to start. Due to its crucial role, a fuel pump is meant to be tough and withstand almost the entire life of your car.
- Problems After Changing Fuel Pump
- What Causes A Fuel Pump to Overheat?
- Can A Fuel Pump Relay Work Intermittently?
- Diesel Fuel Pump Failure Symptoms
- Can a Bad Fuel Pump Relay Cause Misfire?
Can a car run without a fuel pump? From the above, it is obvious that it is impossible to run a car without a fuel pump, or effectively at the very least.
Attempting to experiment will amount to the subsequent risk of damaging other car parts.
Therefore, it’s advisable you ensure there’s a fuel pump in your car, and that it functions properly. Whenever you notice any issues with it, quickly contact a car repairer to get it fixed to avoid potential damages.